Disability Service at York University offers a one-day workshop to service providers and clinicians with a focus on transition issues for students with disabilities. This workshop will take place from 8:30 - 4:00 pm on Thursday, February 22, 2018.
NEW! Relevant for high school professionals as well as diagnosing clinicians, the afternoon session from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm will focus on how we determine accommodations (degree, amount) and supports for students based on the documentation we receive. We will discuss how some DSM V diagnoses impact students and their ability to access accommodations, grants, and other funding and supports.
- Role of high school service providers in preparing transition plans
- Advocacy skills required - disclosure to staff, faculty, and peers
- Transition programs and supports (i.e., Project ADVANCE, ASD Pilot)
- Admissions procedures and policies for students with disabilities (presented by a representative from Admissions)
- Documentation Requirements for all disabilities
- Transition issues, accommodations, and supports for students requiring higher levels of supports
- Academic readiness skills required for post-secondary level work and how students can be supported when there is a gap between their course demands and their skills
Interested in attending? Complete an on-line February 2018 Service Providers Workshop Registration Form.
Registration is limited. A $50 registration fee is required and covers the cost of handout materials, morning coffee breaks and lunch. Receipts will be provided for parking but it is not covered in the registration cost.
Please Note: registration in this workshop will close on Thursday, February 8th (or when the maximum number of participants is reached).
Please contact our office at 416-736-5383 with any questions or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cheques should be made payable to York University.
Please mail cheques to:
Service Providers Workshop
W128 Bennett Centre for Student Services
York University, 4700 Keele Street
Toronto, Ontario, M3J 1P3
Once we have received your completed registration form, we will email a confirmation letter and more information about the location of the session and other relevant information. If you have any questions about the workshop or would like to arrange for someone to come to your school, please call 416-736-5383 or e-mail email@example.com