Disability Services offers a number of pre-university transition support workshops and programs. These supports range from single session or multi-session workshops to several days and weeks of transition-based programs. The aim of all of these activities is to provide students with a "head start" on university by becoming better-prepared for the demands that they will face.
Project Advance (PA)
- A two week summer transition program for students with disabilities
- PA is only open to York University students
- The parents of students taking part in PA can attend a full-day "orientation"
- To learn more, visit our Project ADVANCE page
ASD Transition Day
- Our Learning Disability Services (LDS) offers an information day for perspective students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or a Non-Verbal Learning Disability (NVLD) and their parent(s)
- Any student diagnosed with ASD or a NVLD, planning to attend a post-secondary institution (university or college) can take part
- Service providers are welcome to attend
- To learn more, visit the ASD Transition Day page on the LDS website
Transition Workshop for Parents
- Free, evening workshop at York's Keele campus
- Open to all parents (or other support persons) who have questions or concerns about the transition to post-secondary studies (college or university) for students with disabilities
- To learn more, visit the Transition Workshop for Parents page on the LDS website
Service Provider Workshop
- This workshop provides information to educators, counselors and psychological services about the transition to post-secondary studies for students with disabilities
- To learn more, visit our Service Provider Workshop page
Further information regarding services and programming can be found on the websites of each of our Disability Services units:
Academic Bridging Programs
- York University's School of Continuing Studies offers academic bridging courses to help students who have been away from formal education for some time and do not meet York University’s requirements for direct-entry admission.
- York University's School of Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies offers academic bridging courses for women who want to upgrade their writing and speaking skills and explore the possibility of university study.