Disability Services

Disability Services comprises three units within Counselling & Disability Services on the Keele campus that offer a variety of academic support to students with disabilities. Our three disability service units are:

Information about what documents a student needs in order to register with a unit within Disability Services can be found here.

Note:  Students who are diagnosed with multiple disabilities should contact the Disability Services unit that provides support for the disability that they feel has the most significant impact on their academic performance.

Similar support services are provided to students on the Glendon campus:

  • Glendon Counselling Services: offers a range of services to Glendon students, including personal counselling, career counselling and services for students with learning, mental health, physical, sensory and medical disabilities.

Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities: Statement of Commitment by York University

  1. York University’s Mission Statement commits the institution to accessibility and social justice. In advancement of the mission, the university aims to be an environment which respects the dignity and worth of all persons.
  2. In recognition of their abilities and contributions to York University, the university is committed to preventing, minimizing and removing the barriers to participation by persons with disabilities in the activities of the university including employment, study or social activity.
  3. While all individuals are expected to satisfy the requirements of their program of study or their employment and to aspire to do so at a level of excellence, the university recognizes that persons with disabilities may require reasonable accommodation to enable them to do so. It is the responsibility of each member of the York community, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, volunteers and their representative organizations to play a part in creating an equitable and inclusive environment, in the identification and minimizing of barriers, and in the accommodation processes.
  4. In working towards its goals to provide access to persons with disabilities, York will act conscientiously and in keeping with its own policies and with relevant legislation. For purposes of this statement, the statutory definition of the term “disability” is that provided by the Accessibility for Ontarians With Disabilities Act 2005 and any amendments made thereto from time to time.